The Galway Archaeological and Historical Society (GAHS) was founded on the 21st March 1900 at the Railway Hotel to promote the study of the archaeology and history of the west of Ireland. Since 1900 the Society has published 70 volumes of its Journal of the Galway Archaeological and Historical Society. See our “Journal” menu links for more details. The first 55 volumes were until recently available on CD-ROM but have now all sold out. However, most of our back catalogue of journals are now available through the online academic database JSTOR.
The Society also runs a lecture series in Galway City, as well as outings to various sites of interest during the summer. It is also involved in liaison with national and local authorities in relation to heritage matters relating to the City and County of Galway.
We invite you to become a member, overseas members are also welcome. All members get a free copy of the GAHS Journal normally issued near the end of the calendar year.